Thursday, November 1, 2012

Chipotle Quinoa

Quinoa made manly! I wanted to try something different with quinoa. So after rummaging through my fridge for several minutes, I surfaced with green bell peppers, garlic, green onions, chipotle peppers in adobo, and cilantro. I knew my mind was on to a south-of-the-border version of quinoa, which I personally believe is rather bland and needs a lot of beefing up. So, Chipotle Quinoa was born! I added 1 large chipotle pepper and a few teaspoons of adobo. However the heat level was pretty high and I will probably add a small pepper next time. Adjust according to your preference. Just remember, it is easy to add more heat but hard to take it away!





















I start by sauteing the green bell pepper, green onion, chipotle pepper, and garlic in a little extra virgin olive oil.























Next I add the quinoa, chicken stock, salt, and italian seasoning.  Boil for 5 minutes, cover, and remove from heat.  After 15 minutes, fluff quinoa and top with cilantro. Enjoy!























Chipotle Quinoa
Ingredients:
1 T EVOO
1 Green Bell Pepper (diced)
1 Green Onion (diced)
1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo (adjust to desired heat)
1 Garlic Clove (minced)
1 C Quinoa
2 C Chicken Stock (or water but stock makes a big difference)
1 t Salt
2 t Italian Seasoning
Cilantro

Directions:
1) In a medium pot, saute the green bell pepper, green onion, chipotle pepper, and garlic in the olive oil for about 5 minutes.
2) Add the quinoa, chicken stock, salt, and italian seasoning.
3) Bring to a boil and stir occasionally for 5 minutes.
4) Cover and remove from heat.
5) Let stand, covered, for 15 minutes.
6) Fluff with a fork and serve.
7) Garnish with fresh cilantro.

Nutrition:
(Serves 4)
Cals-230, Fat-5g, Protein-7g)

No comments:

Post a Comment